1/5/09

and David killed Golliath



Joe and I got to say "good-bye" to Salt Lake, and "hello!" to New Orleans last weekend! We were so excited!
New Orleans shuts down the road of Bourbon street every single night. If you want to let loose on a wednesday night, you can count on Bourbon street being all lit up. There were lots of bars, but all we really wanted was to find some authentic Cajun food without having to wait an hour to be seated.
After walking around through crazy crowds and walking in circles, we finally found a place, and it was AMAZING!!!!!


The police ride through Bourbon street every night trying to keep the "rowdies" under control. It's kind of crazy seeing an 8-foot tall horse brushing up against people in the crowds! I swear I almost got stepped on!
I thought it was so nice to see Christmas lights in some warm weather! Utah has been getting slammed with snow for a month now - so I was REALLY appreciating the palm trees!

The streets were very colorful!


We had a few issues with the directions we kept getting from the locals. You'd think they didn't even know their own city!
I thought the TRUMP sign was so funny on that building!


Here's our group - Joe, his brother, Ben and his wife, Brooke. (I was behind the camera of course)

I watched for a while and I still don't know what that guy was doing in the shadows!
Joe finally got a street named after him!
We got to visit the National D-day museum. It was amazing! We spent almost 3 hours there, and we didn't even get to see everything! It was definitely worth the walk though town with the new strappy shoes I bought (since UGGs are a little warm for New Orleans) - even though I had to develop a new walk in an attempt to withstand the pain from the new blisters they were causing! Why do we do that to ourselves - just to wear cute shoes?!?!!?
My favorite part of the museum was the part that talked about the war in the Pacific because my Grandpa Wallace fought in Iro Shima.

There were a lot of buildings that were in need of repair. BUT those are the most intriging ones, right?

Most of the buildings had lights over the sidewalk that were gas-lights. I loved those.


I really loved all the color all over almost every building.

Can you see my arm in the window? I was in a little bit of a hurry to keep that in mind this time. Ooops!

Oh, yea! Keep on adding color! The more the better!

I got to help this nice man play his trombone. It was very exciting!



This is the yummiest restaurant!!! It was exactly what we were looking for!
Joe wore red all weekend. We were the minority on the streets, but I was still impressed at how many people from Utah got down there to support the team!





This is the top of their fire hydrants! How adorable!
This kid was awesome! He stuck smashed pop cans on the bottom of his shoes and turned himself into quite a show! I was impressed.
Don't even ask, because I don't even know.
All we heard all day long was, "ROLL TIDE!" There were some fans that didn't even know who they were playing because they so obviously were going to win. When Ben was walking on the street, an Alabama fan said to him, "Tonight you guys are gunna learn what football's really all 'bout!"


We were so outnumbered! They had more fans, more players, a bigger band and everything! We were just hoping for the best against some crazy odds!



This cute little girl sat in front of us and I just couldn't help but take a few pictures of her! She made me miss Chloe like crazy!


All I can say about the game, is Utah is awesome! I know we're the minority in our town (lots of BYU fans), but I am so proud to be a UTE!!!!! At one point, Ben was out by the concessions, and he saw a guy just standing there, dumfounded, and he said, "Did you guys know you were going to do this? Where did you guys come from?" Hee, Hee, Hee!

The victory was sweet. So very sweet.
By the middle of the last quarter, most of the Alabama fans had cleared out- just gave up. Is is wrong that I really enjoyed that? Those blue seats in the picture above all were red with Alabama fans. Poor Alabama. They didn't even see it coming.


We had so much fun at the game, that we had to stay as long as possible just to relish the victory.



Yea! Go Utes! It was a great game!
Good bye, New Orleans!

5 comments:

Marti said...

Oh I love your pictures! Brandon went to the game too, but didn't take our camera- such a regret of his. So thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Great pics Kenz. What a great game huh? I loved every minute of it.

Jenny Esterbrook Photography said...

Whoo hoo! Go Utes!! What a blast, I LOVE the pictures of the old buildings getting rebuilt and all the fun colors. Was that the French Quarter? Anyways, it was great seeing you guys for the holidays, I'm hoping we can make it out your way around Feb or March. Take care!

Jamie said...

Hey it's Jamie Dickson. I found you off of Ryan Peppers. Looks like you guys had a blast at the sugar bowl. I'm jealous. Hope all is well with you, I wish you lived closer, your pics are amazing.

Lisanne said...

Awesome pictures! I am so jealous you got to go to the game. I told Ryan he can stay home with the kids next time. An all ladies trip :)
Lisanne

My Blog List