8/5/09

Chalk Creek '09

A few weeks ago, we got to go up to the cabins for the annual "Hansen Chalk Creek Week." It's the one time of the year that we can usually count on everyone being together at the same time - so it's one of our favorite vacations!
Jake and Hank got to play together. Hank is about 3 months older, but now they're old enough and can finally play together well.
Sam and Cole are like little magnets, I've decided. They are always together since they are so close in age, but as soon as they are withing 3 feet of eachother, they instantly snap together in some sort of fight or wrestling move. I don't think they can help it really - they just love to hurt eachother and it's pretty constant. I find it testing my patience a time or two, but I just ADORE the rare moments they are sincerely nice to eachother. Fishing is usually one of those times - so they did a lot of fishing this trip.
Hank was really excited to be at the cabin. Joe's Aunt and Uncle let us use their new cabin - so it was really nice to have everyone together in one cabin the whole week instead of splitting everyone up. SO, THANK YOU, Garff family!!!!!!
Jake is an AMAZING kisser these days. There isn't a person or animal around that he won't kiss. I must admit, the "Oreo Kiss" had me hesitating for a minute.
I've also noticed that Chloe is the sweetest little girl I've ever met in my entire life. I could have her next to my side for the rest of eternity and I would love EVERY second of it. She and I are best friends.
We hiked "Windy Ridge", and I am thrilled to say that it was my first time!!! I've always been pregnant, with a newborn, or too asthmatic to hike it, but not this year!!!!
Joe, of course, had us stop to stare at some elk that only he would notice miles and miles away on the other side of the valley. Luckily, he brought his trusty scope!
Gus has only one thing on his mind -- sticks. Not that he'd ever bring one back to us, but he sure caused us a lot of grief going after the ones in our hands! He's Patty's dog, so she took the responsibility of carrying the most enticing stick in order to get him out of everyone's face while we were hiking.
When Sam and Cole see animals, they instantly start thinking about hunting. Is that normal? I certainly didn't teach them that.

Believe it or not, there are like a hundred elk on the mountain over there. So obvious, right? Joe had us whispering!
I know I look weird -- we'd been sweating on our way up there, but there aren't many pictures of me with the boys - so I treasure these. Thank you Patty!

My guys are a little bit high-strung, I think!
The view from the top was gorgeous. We were definetely taller than any other peaks around us and we were even above the snow level! There was snow below us -- so weird in the middle of July!
Cole loves to tease me. He thinks he's so funny! I just think I have ENORMOUS biceps in this picture - so that's why I posted it. I really wanted to impress everyone. I owe that really tough bicep to my trainer - RUSTY HURD!

Going down was actually just as tough -- maybe even a little tougher. After all the loose rocks we slid down, and the miles and miles of waist-high grass we went through, Sam acted like he was too tired to go on, and "fell asleep" when we were only halfway down!! Yeah, like that's going to convince me to put him on my back to carry him down! Buck up, son!
Just kidding - he's the sweetest and most expresive kid I've met!
Colten caught 2 of the largest (if not THE largest) fish ever caught in Chalk Creek! They had enough meat on them to feed an entire family!


MMMMMMM!!!! Jake was conflicted about the worms! He wanted to touch them so badly, but he kept getting completely freaked out when he'd get too close! I though it was so funny and it kept me entertained for hours!




I love her cowgirl boots!
Aunt Katie was so cute playing the guitar on the couch by herself that I had to grab a shot of her!
Chloe was thrilled that she got to ride the mini-fourwheelers with Cole. Colten and Sam rode them so much, and she always wants to do what they're doing. After her ride, she was really excited telling me all about how to do it!
When she tried to drive one by herself, she got a little nervous!
Jake is in love with Joe's horse, Bo. He never, ever wants to get off. Ever.

Chloe loves riding, too, but she can't do it without her boots on (but it was sad that Geddy got a hold of her pink cowgirl hat that morning!).



The boys and I built a teepee (it took like 2 hours of breaking trees down to get it just right!). It was complete with it's own firepit. The boys had a lot of fun in it!

No comments:

My Blog List