12/1/10

Colten hits the big 1 - 0!


Well, it's here! My oldest child just turned 10! It's crazy! I really can't believe the time has gone by so fast. It makes me kind of sad because that means I've really only got about 8 or 9 more years with him!!!!! After senior year, it's pretty hard to hold on to these kids!!!!

A few things about Cole: He's very helpful. I can ask him to do just about anything to help me out, and he does it without complaining. That is really the best thing you could hope for in an oldest child, I think! Especially lately, when I'm at such a disadvantage with this pregnancy -- he's always willing to run up the stairs or run outside and do something for me. I am so grateful for such a helpful child!

He's intensely active and athletic. He lives for football season and it's so much fun to go to his games to watch him. He works so hard at all the sports he plays, that he's in almost every play! We've signed him up for every sport available throughout his life, and he plays at least one sport each season. I think it's so wonderful that he's so active. It's a lot of driving to get him to practices and games, but it's so worth it to see how much the team sports influence his life. I'm grateful that he is willing to put himself out there and work as hard as he does at all these activities!

He's very sensitive. He's all boy, and very athletic, but he's also very sensitive and artistic. I love that he cares how people speak to him, and how he treats his friends. He never gets into fights with his friends (he does tend to get into fights defending his friends, but I think that's an okay thing for now). He has always had friendships with girls, and although we don't want him having girlfriends right now, I really like how nice he is to girls. I really, really hope that I can raise him to understand how important it is to open the door for women, and carry heavy things for them, and to take care of them -- to just be a gentleman. That is VERY high on my "hopes for my boys" list, and I think he's doing pretty good!

He's also extremely talented at art. I swear this child is so well-rounded! He is absolutely OBSESSED with drawing Elk and Deer and stuff like that. His walls are covered in his drawings. He amazes me with how detailed his drawings are. I'm probably a little biased with him, but I've never seen such great drawing from a kid as young as him! He always has a pad of sketching paper in his backpack or under his bed so that he can be constantly working on getting his drawings just right. I absolutely LOVE this about him!

There are a million other wonderful things about Colten I could be mentioning, but most importantly, I just love him like crazy, and I couldn't have asked for a better son. I know he's growing up to be a great man. He's a great brother, and I know he's excited to help me out with his new twin sisters, and that means a lot to me. I love you, Cole!!!!




For his birthday, we went to Boondocks with a bunch of friends. We had unlimited laser tag and arcade games, pizza, and root beer! It was a perfect party place for 10 10-year-olds!
There was a hostess that did magic tricks, and entertained the kids for me -- so that was very nice!!!

When we got there, Jake had already had a huge day - so he slept through most of the party in the next booth over!



He's a huge Utes fan!

I took Chloe off with me to play her first game of miniature golf. It was really cute to see her working that ball into the holes. Sometimes, she would just drag it over! She's just like her mom!


Look! Jake woke up at the end of the party!

Later that weekend, we had a family party, and Cole inherited his Dad's old shotgun. I know it has number or something, but all that stuff is in a foreign language to me -- so it's just a shotgun. Now that he's 10, he can go bird hunting. Great. I really look forward to more dead animals.
Happy Birthday, Colten! We love you so much!!!!!!

5 comments:

Jenny Esterbrook Photography said...

Happy Birthday Cole! I hope it was fun! I have been so bad at keeping up wih the birthdays this year, uggh! What a fun party and I love that Jake has his spider man costume on, hee hee. Hope you are feeling well and I can't wait to hear the big news, hang in there and keep us posted! yay!

marilee said...

my chloe said, "chloe looks so cute. we should get those clothes." she loves seeing pictures of her friend chloe from the cabin! i hope you are feeling okay.

Brooke Hansen said...

When did Colten grow up? I can't believe how much older he looks since we saw him last! Wow! We miss you guys!

Alysha said...

Happy Birthday Cole! You were pregnant with him during my wedding! Crazy. What a handsome guy. How are you feeling? When is your due date?

McKenzie Hansen said...

It's crazy how fast kids grow up! They hit 8 years old, and all of a sudden, they're asking for cell phones, and finding girlfriends, and all the stuff that freaks me out!!! Anyway, Alysha- I'm still feeling good, but there's no more room and I think if the babies grow any bigger, my belly won't grow - it'll just break and they'll just fall out! So, I'm hoping that won't happen!!!

My Blog List