9/7/08

Chloe got sick!!

It was so sad! My sweet little, always happy and giggling little girl fell asleep at noon one day. I was thinking, "How sweet! Now I can sweep the floor without having to share the broom with anyone!." Then, at 3:00 she still hadn't gotten up, and I was getting a little worried about her because she normally doesn't even take naps! So, when I sat down by her to check on her, she woke up a puked all over me! As a mother, that's not gross, just very troublesome. I tried to think about what she could have eaten, but all I could target was the bowl of innocent cheerios that morning. So, after I cleaned her all up, she was asleep again! After 20 minutes, she woke up, threw up the sprite I had given her, then immediately fell back asleep. She repeated that process 5 or 6 times. I was getting very worried!!! So, around 6:30, I called the doctor and since she couldn't keep clear liquids down, she needed to be seen immediately. So, I had to pawn the other kids off on the neighbors, and race down to the hospital. She was so dehydrated that she had to stay overnight at the hospital! Now, I've never had a child so sick that they needed to stay in the hospital - so this was very frightening. It all happened so fast, that my mind was just reeling. I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong - sprite, no sprite? crackers, no crackers? I still have no idea! That night in the hospital was very dramatic - apparently a child who is dehydrated has smaller veins than normal, and she had to haver her blood drawn. The first few times they took her blood, she was so out of it that she didn't even notice (which was so scary!), but then they could find the vein. The nurses had stuck the needle in her arm, but couldn't find the vein, and instead of, oh, I don't know . . . maybe trying the OTHER arm, they decided to keep the needle in and just dig around for 8 or 9 excruciating minutes before finally giving up and just drawing it out of her hand. She felt that one.







Needless to say, she is all better now, and the hospital stay was actually fun! After the scary night of being hooked up the an IV, she woke up and the first thing she said was, "Hi, Mommy! I feel better! I want a chocolate cupcake with pink frosting!" So, I ordered her a pancake. Joe stayed home with the other kids while she and I watched every princess movie ever made. The ladies in the hospital were so great! They checked in on her, made a fun sticker-potty chart for her, brought her any toys she wanted, and around lunch-time, they brought in a 12" chocolate cake with pink frosting and a big rainbow on top - made just for her by the kitchen! It really made her day and I just loved them for it!

No comments:

My Blog List